Sunday, May 19, 2013

Why am I so weak?

I don't mean "weak" as in "mentally weak," but more like "physically weak." I seriously am, and I hate it so much.

I tend to push myself too much when it comes down to working on projects,be it for dance, school, work, or whatever it is I have on my plateand it definitely takes a toll on my body. I often get headaches, my muscles become sore very easily, I sometimes lose my voice, and I'm somewhat prone to injuries. Ugh.

One doctor told me that I was an overachiever (nothing new here), and basically a type-A person. To put it simply, I'm a perfectionist, and become very, very borderline annoying anal when it comes to school, work, and especially dance. I suppose it's good to be meticulous and super organized, but in my case, I almost always overwork myself to the point of sickness, and it's not good, for a lack of a better word. 

I just had a performance yesterday, and the D-Day preparations were hell for my body. Let me tell you what I did yesterday:

  • 5:30am: woke up and got ready.
(I was still a happy lil' dancer here that I had the energy and willingness to take a selfie)
  • 7:00am: got in the car, and went to the show venue early, because of my 7:30am call time.
  • 7:15am: arrived at the location; put on my makeup (those damned fake lashes), wore my costume, did my hair, rehearsed.
  • 9:00am: briefed by the committee members; rehearsed on stage with full makeup and costume; made sure everything looked good on camera.
  • 9:15am: put on accessories for my costume; stretched and warmed up because my left arm was killing me; took some pictures, and rehearsed again in the dressing room; prayed before we got on stage.
  • 10:30am: SHOW TIME, BABY! First performance went well.
  • 11:00am: ate lunch because I was famished at that point; touched up my makeup, and put on the costume for the second performance; rehearsed the other choreography for a few times; made sure our costumes and accessories were in place; took some more pictures, and then waited for our second session.
  • 1:00pm: SECOND PERFORMANCE!
  • 2:00pm: everything was all done; the first thing I did was rip off my falsies, and took off my makeup; changed out of my costume, and went home. AT LONG LAST, FREEDOM FROM THOSE FALSIES AND MAKEUP! Yeah, I totally dislike wearing makeup.
  • 3:20pm: finally arrived home after dropping off my dance instructor and her assistant at the studio. Time to eat again, because I was hungry........again.
So that was a sneak peek into my schedule yesterday, and even though it might not seem like much, it was really exhausting for me. I realize that I've been getting sick and just generally feeling like crap a lot more lately, because I'm almost always dancing, choreographing, teaching, or doing Pilates. It's kind of ironic because those things are supposed to keep you fit and healthy, but I feel like I kind of abuse it so much to the point that my body just can't take them all too well anymore. All things in moderation, I guess.

I'm ranting on my first postwell done, Jenn (note the sarcasm). So I'll stop here then; see you in my next entry!

Love,
Jennifer W.

No comments:

Post a Comment